Thursday, January 19, 2012

Apply and Discover 2.1

In my 1.1 Short Paper I used the resources from module 1 to give information about the importance of incorporating technology into education and the methods for doing so. However, I failed to explain specifics as to how I would walk the walk.

We know from Module 1 Lecture Notes that “when a teacher uses technology to deliver instruction and facilitate interaction and feedback, students experience the content in a different way” i.e. it is enhanced (Drolet, 2012). In addition we learned that technology helps to provide students with the skill set necessary to compete in 21st-centrury colleges and careers. As the EDUTOPIA STAFF point out, “technology will help students acquire the skills they need to survive in a complex, highly technological knowledge-based economy” (EDUTOPIA, 2012).

This week we learned ways to utilize technology to promote student-centered instruction. Technology has the greatest potential to allow teachers to personalize instruction for each student (Pierce, 2012). When it comes to meeting the needs of all learners, Universal Design for Learning reminds us that "curriculum  should include alternatives to make it accessible and appropriate for students with different backgrounds, learning styles and abilities in widely varied learning contexts" (Wissick, et al., 2004).   

Thanks to the Technology Applications to Support Diverse Learners I now have two pages of accommodations and software programs that I can link to each of my students. This great source lists technologies that I plan to incorporate as I am planning instruction. I really like  the Talking Word Processors and Voice Recognition softwares, even though I do not currently teach whole class nor writing, I think that these programs are so valuable to have as part of my teaching tool box. 

My school has recently begun purchasing iPads for instructional use. Before today I have never used an iPad and didn't even know how to turn one on. To help me I chose a local expert, one of my third grade students! He has been using an iPad each day with the principal as a reward for good behavior. So I invited him to teach me how to use the iPad. I explained to him that I had no idea even how to turn it on. He was wonderful and showed me, with great enthusiasm and communication skills, how to turn on and navigate to all the pages of apps. He even showed me how to use some of his favorite apps!  This experience helped us both in many ways: it helped me to make a deeper connection with a student, it helped raise his self-esteem, it helped him engage in alternative learning, and allowed us to reverse roles and learn from each other. Because of this experience I plan to explore more apps and start incorporating them to assist in my small group instruction.

1 comment:

  1. I am really enjoying the iPad. I brought it with me this weekend when I nannied for two little boys who are 8 and 5. They are video game junkies! So I would have one on the iPad while the other played the video game and then every 15 minutes they would switch! It was great because it is a school iPad all the apps are educational. I had the older one working on math facts and the younger one worked on spacial recognition, letters and basic spelling! When their parents go home they didn't want me to leave and take the iPad with me!

    ReplyDelete